I’ve been quietly recovering since arriving back home one week ago today. My 5 days in the ICU were trying, but not half as bad as my first brain surgery. Lowlights included intense nausea from anesthesia and then trying to remain motionless in a MRI tube at 3 am without music, trying not to vomit all over myself. As you will see in a FB update from Lauren later on in this post, it was in fact a level 2 tumor they removed from my skull and not a parasite related cyst. The level 2 means there’s a good chance it will never come back (like the deadly level 4’s) as surgeons removed all the negative cells they could see.
The night of my return from Harborview, January 30th, I ended up in the Port Angeles ER for head pain/pressure at about 4am. I was positive this would land me an ambulance ride to Harborview, but a timely CT scan read by my surgeon Dr. Chowdhary at Harborview showed that my ventricles were stable, I just needed to take more pain medication- something I didn’t have to do during my previous surgery. I was released just in time for lunch.
At my one week Harborview check up today (Feb 5th), Dr. Chowdhary was pleased with my progress and prescribed to me (the AMAZING) steroids used to reduce brain inflammation that I was on during my week long recovery at Harborview. Pain has been significantly reduced and I’m grateful. Prior to this I was just getting by on powerful opiates every 4 hours, not much fun. Again, Lauren and I are so thankful for all the love and prayers poured out on our behalf. I’m still shunt free and my next exam at Harborview on Feb 18th will most likely determine if a third brain surgery is necessary to put it back in. For now, my family and medical team remain optimistic that it won’t. Lauren and I will continue to praise God no matter what as he brings good from no matter what.
Below: Updates/Pics from FB November-January.
Nov 27, 2015
Brain Update: My sutures were removed Tuesday afternoon and my 'J' is healing nicely. Dr. Zunt thought it was probable my cyst was parasite related, but there isn't a way to know conclusively without a biopsy. He referred me to another UW specialist who specializes in removing stuff from the ventricles. Another surgery could be in the works (shortly?) if the cysts location is deemed operable. My balance and thinking is clearer and I drove for the first time on Thanksgiving in three weeks. Lauren was only marginally freaked out. Thank you all, with love from the Pipers.
December 9th, 2015
Brain Update: I was just scheduled for an MRI this Saturday at Harborview to determine if the cyst can be removed by the surgeon. With all the happenings, Lauren and I (with heavy hearts) have decided against our trip to New Zealand this Christmas break. For my beloved Kiwi’s, we will miss you and I can’t wait for you to meet my wife next Christmas if God allows it.
December 12th, 2015
Brain Update: The MRI in Seattle was postponed to Monday after spending the morning/afternoon in the ER for stabbing pain near the left kidney. What was initially thought to be stones was shown by CT scans to my catheter poking around in the area.
This fun photo is the X-Ray taken at Olympic Memorial right after I passed out in the kitchen last Saturday morning from pain. This is a 2d view, the 4 white circles on each side are ribs. The small white tube going across the middle of the picture is the catheter from my brain having its way with my organs on the right. Lauren and I await the results of last nights MRI in Seattle as to whether a specialist can remove the cyst in my third ventricle.
Dec. 22nd, 2015
Brain Update: Specialist Dr. Ellenbogen reviewed my MRI with my shunt surgeon and they decided against another surgery for now. We will know more on January 8th when we follow up at Harborview with my shunt surgeon, Dr. Chowdhary.
Brain Update: Quite the unexpected day at Harborview for Lauren and I with my shunt surgeon. The MRI from Dec. 14th revealed that my shunt was successful in draining spinal fluid causing excessive pressure. A fantastic byproduct of this drainage was that the cyst relocated to a less dangerous patch of real estate in my brain. Because of this development, a second brain surgery has been scheduled for Monday, January 25th with pre-op stuff on Friday and Saturday in Seattle. If successful, the cyst and my ventricle plumbing will be removed. What a ride. Continually praising a good and sovereign God no matter what the outcome.
The sunset last night. Heading back to Harborview this morning for an MRI in prep for surgery Monday
Update on David: Brain surgery #2 was successful! They were able to remove both the cyst and the shunt. He had a bit of bleeding towards the end of surgery so he might have a little longer recovery than anticipated. They sent the cyst off to pathology and we should know what it is in about 5 days. Thank you all so much for your love and prayers! So thankful for how the Lord has held us through all of this. The journey is not over, please keep praying. No matter what circumstances we face or what the outcome may be, God is good all the time.
Brain Update: Please pray my natural plumbing begins to work on its own tomorrow when testing begins. 25% of cases like mine fail and the shunt has to be surgically reinstalled after being taken out because normal brain flow never returns. I'm not sleeping all that well here in the ICU and if all goes well tomorrow, I could be in my own bed at home as early as Friday night (that would be a huge win!). Thank you for the love+prayer coverage over Lauren and I.
Thank you all for your prayers that were heard by our loving Father. I've been officially discharged from Harborview with follow up and recovery plans.
David update from Lauren:
We are home
His natural brain plumbing passed the test! They took out his drain this morning... as you might have already seen 😮
We got the pathology report last night... it was not a parasite. It was actually a grade 2 ependymoma tumor... which is considered cancerous, BUT has been completely removed. Because of this type of tumor's nature, it has a 20% chance of recurrence, and another one could manifest in his brain or spinal cord at any time- BUT they tend to be slow growing and he will be having frequent scans. An MRI of his spinal cord was taken to check for other tumors, and none were seen at this time.
He's been scheduled with a neuro-oncology doctor to further discuss his prognosis, but it looks as if it's all gone and he will just have to have periodic scans for the rest of his life. Whatever the case, we are thanking God and asking Him to use this for tons of good. There's so much freedom in Christ, friends. His perfect love drives out fear. Thank you for how you've loved and prayed- we so appreciate it. Finding it difficult to keep this update at a reasonable length...Here is a helpful link on frequently asked questions about ependymomas. https://cern-foundation.org/?page_id=230 We love you all so much